Archbishop in money row…Fed up employee sues Catholic Church

Auxilia Katongomara Chronicle Reporter
THE Archbishop of Bulawayo Diocese Alex Thomas has been sued over a $7,000 debt the church owes to one of its employees who allegedly used her personal money to run the church’s office as well as service its vehicle. In the summons filed at the High Court on Wednesday, the Archdiocese of Bulawayo is cited as the first defendant and Father Thomas as the second defendant.

Felicity Sibindi who was employed by the church as a health coordinator, is demanding $5,000 for settling office costs with her personal money as well as $2,000 for servicing the church’s Toyota Hilux.

In her declaration, Sibindi who worked for the church from January 2009 to December 2015, said she used her money with the hope that the church and Father Thomas would reimburse her.

“The plaintiff used her personal money amounting to $5,000 to pay for costs of running the office with the understanding that the defendants will pay her back the amount.

“All receipts are available. In addition, the plaintiff spent $2,000 servicing the defendant’s vehicle with the understanding that the amount will be paid back to her.

“The vehicle was serviced at Toyota Zimbabwe. All receipts are available,” read the summons. She said despite demand the defendants had failed to pay the said amounts. Sibindi is asking the court to grant an order for the defendants to pay her the $7,000.

“The plaintiff prays for against the defendants, an order that she retains the vehicle Toyota Hilux registration ACR 3631 and that the sheriff be empowered to sell the vehicle by public auction if the defendants fail to pay the amount within seven days of this order by the court and that plaintiff recovers her money from the sale of the vehicle,” read the summons.

Sibindi is also demanding that the defendants pay the cost of the suit. Father Thomas and the church have 10 days to respond to the summons.

Pin It
  • zwangendaba

    Which church is it?Is it Anglican or Roman Catholic?