Botswana cops ‘beat Zim man to death’

Sukulwenkosi Dube Plumtree Correspondent
A ZIMBABWEAN man has died after he was severely beaten by Botswana police for illegally entering their country.

Oscar Kani, 35, of Mkhubazi Village, Sanzukwi area in Mangwe District, arrived home unconscious on Monday afternoon after he was collected by relatives from a hospital in the neighbouring country.

He died on Wednesday at Brunapeg Hospital in Mangwe where he was admitted.

Kani’s uncle, Kenneth Ncube, who is the senior village head in the area, said his nephew could hardly speak or move when he arrived home.

“I received a phone call from a relative in Botswana telling me that Oscar was critically ill as he was thoroughly beaten up by the police.

“I sent my son to collect him from a hospital where he had been admitted in Botswana. My son later called and asked for a car to ferry my nephew as he could not walk,’’ said Ncube.

He said Kani had blisters all over his body, a swollen stomach and knees as well as scars on his head.

Ncube said Kani was diagnosed with subdural haemorrhage caused by the head injuries.

He said his nephew was rushed to Brunapeg Hospital where he later died from the injuries.

Ncube said relatives in Botswana informed him that his nephew was picked up from his workplace by Botswana police who accused him of being an illegal immigrant on February 7.

“My brother in Botswana told me that my nephew was arrested and a few days later they heard that he had been admitted at a hospital in Francistown,” said Ncube.

He said Kani left for Botswana in 2012 in search of employment.

He said his nephew will be buried today at his rural home.

Karrington Ncube, a cousin to the late, went to the neighbouring country to pick up Kani.

He said he found Kani admitted at Nyangabgwe Hospital in Francistown.

Karrington said his cousin told him that he had been thoroughly beaten by police.

“He was in a terrible state and there were blisters all over his body. I realised that I could not board a public vehicle with him because he could hardly move. By the time we reached home he was unconscious,” he said.

Several Zimbabweans have died or seriously injured following police assaults in the neighbouring country.

The assaults came after they were caught without proper travel documents or work permits.

Recently, Qhawe Moyo, 40, from Nkedile area in Mangwe District, died after he was shot by Botswana police officers who suspected he was a smuggler.

Alters Ndebele, 23, of Tshankwa area in Bulilima District was shot and wounded by Botswana soldiers who caught him trying to enter the neighbouring country through an illegal point.

They later dumped him in a bushy area where he was picked up by passersby who ferried him to hospital.

A 21-year-old Bulilima woman died after being denied medical assistance while detained at a police station in Botswana.

Nonhlanhla Ndebele was arrested as an illegal immigrant while critically ill and on her way to her home area.

Police detained her for four days and she later died after succumbing to chest pains and difficulties in breathing.

Pin It
  • Eric Ndebele

    This is sad really