|Ministry of Health awaits approval to adopt new circumcision method|
|Tuesday, 15 January 2013 18:08|
THE Ministry of Health and Child Welfare has completed assessing the new circumcision method and is awaiting approval from the World Health Organisation (WHO) to adopt it, an official said yesterday.
The new method uses a ring clamp, as opposed to the traditional method of using a sharp object to cut off the foreskin.
In an interview, an official from the ministry's male circumcision unit, Mr Sinokutemba Xaba, said a report detailing the outcome of the assessment has been submitted to WHO.
"The new circumcision method has not been approved. We have only completed assessing the method. Reports have been written and are now waiting for approval from WHO.
"You have to understand that if there is a new approach there are procedures to be followed before adoption. Zimbabwe has taken the initiative and we expect WHO to give the response by the end of this month."
Mr Xaba could, however, not be drawn to disclose the details of the report.
The new method makes use of gadgets that are ring like, which clamp the foreskin and stop the blood supply.
The person who uses the method, would walk around with the gadget until the foreskin eventually falls off because of the pressure that the clamp exerts.
The Government started conducting trials of the new method from mid last year to examine if the gadget achieved positive results.
The tests were done at Spillhaus Clinic, which is housed at Harare Central Hospital.
The past few years have seen an upsurge in the number of males that voluntarily undergo circumcision.
While some do the practice for cultural reasons, male circumcision is regarded as one of the effective ways of reducing the spread of HIV and Aids by 60 percent.