MAN CUT IN HALF. . . Grinding disc flies off machine, kills metal worker instantly

Mr David Matsitsiro

Mr David Matsitsiro

Andile Tshuma, Chronicle Reporter
A BULAWAYO man died after an unsecured grinding disc cut him in half, almost separating his lower body from the torso.

The disc also split his skull open and cut his arm as it flew out of the grinder last Friday morning.

Family members said Mr Obert Matsitsiro of Tshabalala suburb died on the spot following the freak accident at his backyard workshop.

He was buried on Monday.

The grinder can cut through steel in seconds and the disc will be spinning at speeds of up to 7 000 revolutions per minute.

A family spokesperson, Mr David Matsitsiro, said the family was still in shock following the unfortunate incident.

“I was not there when it happened. I only came to the scene after my brother had died,” said David

“His son tells us that the disc came off as it was not properly secured. It cut him on the face near the ear and slit him through both legs and almost totally cut him in half.

“His other leg was left with just a thread of flesh attaching it to the rest of the body. It was such a horrible scene. My brother died a painful death.”

David said the family was grieving adding his brother’s death was a blow to the family as he was in good health and had a lot of plans for his family.

The late Obert Matsitsiro’s house in Tshabalala, Bulawayo

The late Obert Matsitsiro’s house in Tshabalala, Bulawayo

“I am unemployed myself, and knowing that he was the breadwinner of his family, I wonder how we are going to start fending for this family as things are bound to be hard with all the funeral expenses that we incurred,” he said.

Mr Matsitsiro’s widow, who only identified herself as Mrs Matsitsiro, said she was still grieving and was yet to come to terms with the sudden death of her husband.

“This is very hard. My husband provided for us and now that he is gone I don’t know where we are going to start. Poverty will devour us. There are very high Zesa and city councils bills to be paid. I do not even know why I am narrating my troubles to you because I will not benefit anything, “she said.

Mrs Matsitsiro said she was away when the incident happened.

“I am told electricity tripped and the next thing, the grinder had separated and the blade flew at him and just cut him,” she said.

Mrs Matsitsiro said her son, Elisha tried to render first aid to no avail.

She said an ambulance was called but the paramedics pronounced him dead.

A neighbour who spoke to The Chronicle on condition of anonymity said Mr Matsitsiro had borrowed the grinder from a garage in Tshabalala near his home as his was malfunctioning.

Police from Tshabalala Police Station attended the scene.

Bulawayo police spokesperson Inspector Precious Simango could not be reached for comment yesterday.

@andile_tshuma

Pin It
  • Mthwakazi

    What a horrible horrible way to go. I know the type and model of grinder in question. It is the one used to cut heavy duty steel in industries. It can cut through a human body faster than a red hot knife through butter. When it goes through a human body there would be no sound even when it cuts through bones. It has incredible power and speed. If we had the right laws in Zimbabwe, this man shouldnt have been allowed to bring that grinder to a residential setting. This man had no chance. MHSRIP.

    • sky

      What is the name of this grinder ?

    • ayanda

      hi..my question is what drove this disc to cut him three times since its said the came off the driving machine (grinder its self)??
      I am not getting it clearly here

  • QB

    Oh shame O’man may your soul rest in peace.

  • xhiba

    the machine is dangerous, speak of it being introduced in schools, absolutely no . l once heard from a friend that whilst working down South he was operating one when he suddenly lost grip and the machine continued moving alone coming to where he was, he escaped death by a whisker

    • bigb

      Yaa requires proper adherence to safety precautions and proper training. Also before using such machinery, one must make sure the work space around him is in order and there is sufficient room to maneuver, or at-least has an awareness of the space around him and what maneuverability it allows. I suspect the deceased must have on that fateful day slacked on safety precautions to make sure everything was well secured and in order. It happens sometimes but we must always strive to avoid it as it may not be the operator who gets hurt or killed but someone else close by.

      • namhla

        And the grinder probably had no guard and could have been poorly maintained.

    • ThaDoggPound

      What a tragic and horrible way to go. Sad.
      Almost sounds like an episode from that DSTV programme “1000 Ways To Die”

      • Zbc watcher

        hey, are you just trying to show us that you have dstv at your house? futseki mhani!

        • ThaDoggPound

          Dude you’re backward.
          There is no household without DSTV in urban Zimbabwe, haitomboshamisiri ufunge

          • Nelia

            On Most Daring episodes on Sony Max channel on DSTV

        • God of War

          There is something seriously wrong with you. You need to get your grandmother to brew some millet beer for you because you are mad.

          • Mthwakazi

            Grow up mani, why insult the wrong guy, how about the comment above by ThaDoggPound.

          • Simon

            I thought you said you respected the guy because of his love for rap? Eish umajikeduze.

          • God of War

            You are another one who is retarded; what exactly is wrong with the comment fro DoggPound? Tell the elders to hold a meeting on your behalf because you have serious mental issues.

    • Tabani

      As with all other machines. With any machine, before use, make sure it’s well installed, well maintained, and safety first always. Ofcoz the angle grinder is more dangerous than a lot of hand held tools but I have worked with that machine for atleast 12 hours a week from 1999 to 2008 with not a single problem.

      • MUTASAWAKAROKA

        Its called an accident, nobody plans for it. You will be surprised that he was the most careful guy before this, checking everything is in order before using his tools, except on this particular day. Unfortunately that small lapse cost him and family so much. Condolences to the family, and may his soul rest in peace.

  • Ndlukula Ye Sizwe

    Sad. Power tools are very dangerous and safety protocols need to be strictly followed in their usage esp for those of us in home industries.
    Condolences to the family

  • Asa

    So painful indeed. May his soul rest in peace

  • Jojochenjera

    Deepest condolences to the Matsitsiro family.