Villagers help granny escape from burning house

fire burn

Sukulwenkosi Dube, Plumtree Correspondent
A 78-YEAR-OLD Mangwe granny escaped with minor injuries after villagers pulled her out through the window of a burning house.

Ola Sibanda was sleeping alone when the house caught fire on Monday night at around 8PM in Ngwanyana area.

A candle is suspected to have caused the fire.

Headman Ngwanyana said the old woman was in dire need of assistance as the family’s property was lost in the inferno. He said clothing, food, furniture and as well crucial documents were lost in the fire. “A five roomed house was gutted by fire in Ngwanyana area. An old woman, Ola Sibanda was sleeping alone in the house when the fire started. Her neighbours had to resort to desperate measures to save her from the burning house.”

The family lost all their valuables and property in the fire and we appeal with well wishers to assist. At the time when the fire started she was all alone at home as her husband and grandchildren were away,” he said. “It’s a relief that Sibanda’s homestead is situated close to Ngwanyana Business Centre because people who were around the shops noticed that the house was on fire while she was fast asleep. The incident occurred while the business centre was still busy with people,” he said. A villager, Thandazani Nleya, said they had to cut through a burglar bar in order to save Sibanda.He said the old woman only woke up after villagers warned her that her house was on fire.

“It appears that Sibanda fell asleep while the candle was on in the house which caused the fire. She was not aware of what was happening until we called out for her and woke her up.” “The two entrances to the house were already blocked by the fire but lucky enough the fire had not reached the room she was sleeping in,” said Nleya. He said they managed to pull the old woman out through the window although she sustained some bruises and cuts during the process. Nleya said efforts to remove property from the house were fruitless.

Pin It