Sikhumbuzo Moyo, Senior Sports Reporter
THE 20th edition of the Cosafa Cup is likely to be canceled or postponed after the organisers failed to release official dates and venues as per their promise that they will do so this week.
A number of sporting events in the continent have either been cancelled or postponed as a result of travel restrictions due to an increase in Covid-19 cases with the latest being continental athletics meet that was scheduled for Lagos, Nigeria from June 23-27.
Also suffering the same fate were the men’s Fifa World Cup qualifiers, the women’s Afcon qualifiers as well as the 2022 Africa Cup of Nations draw, which were all due to be held this month.
South Africa recorded a 15,7 percent increase in Covid-19 cases on Thursday after 9 149 new COVID-19 cases were reported. Cosafa’s Lynda Greef, responding to an inquiry from Chronicle Sport on the possibility of the tournament being cancelled or postponed, was none committal.
“Thank you for your support and interest. As soon as information is finalized we will publish simultaneously to all Media,” she said.
If as expected the tournament is called off, it will be a huge blow for Zifa as the Warriors would now most likely plunge into the World Cup qualifiers without any game time as a squad. Zifa were hoping to use the Cosafa Cup tourney as a preparatory platform for the Warriors.
“The Warriors’ technical team will use the Cosafa Cup tournament to mold a competitive team for the September, October and November World Cup qualifiers. The same World Cup qualifiers will also help the players to gel and become even more competitive ahead of the Afcon finals next year,” Zifa communications and competitions manager Xolisani Gwesela said last month.