Nedbank robbery suspects remanded in custody, again
Peter Matika, [email protected]
TWO suspects who allegedly broke into a Nedbank Belmont branch in Bulawayo and stole more than US$270 000 and about R2 million last month, have again been remanded in custody to September 29.
Lovemore Gambiza and Elias Madimba whose ages and addresses were not given, were not asked to plead when they appeared before Bulawayo magistrate Mr Joseph Maveze.
Mr Jethro Mada for the State said the two accused broke into the bank on 26 August after they managed to bypass the bank’s security systems.
He said the pair damaged three safes and stole US$271 500 and R2, 2 million.
“The break-in was only discovered by bank employees when they reported for duty on Monday morning.
“The suspects tampered with the bank’s communication system to access the premises,” said Mr Mada.
He said on the day in question, a security guard was on duty manning the premises when the suspects gained entry into the building and stole the money.
Mr Mada said when the bank employees discovered that there was a break-in, they checked round the premises and discovered that the security razor wire mounted on the precast wall had been cut.
“They also discovered that the screen door leading to the bank had been tampered with, some windows were open indicating that there was a burglary,” said Mr Mada.
He said according to police investigations, Gambiza and Madimba climbed a precast wall to access the banking hall.
The bank which was closed following the burglary and theft, opened for business last Wednesday.