A Libyan commander wanted by the International Criminal Court for alleged war crimes has “escaped” from prison, the forces of military strongman Khalifa Haftar said.
Haftar, head of the self-styled Libyan National Army, “has ordered the re-arrest of commander Mahmoud al-Werfalli after his escape from the military prison” where he was detained, a statement said.
The statement, released overnight on Wednesday-Thursday, did not mention when Werfalli escaped.
The ICC issued a first warrant for Werfalli’s arrest in August last year, accusing him of having ordered or personally carried out seven executions between
March and July 2017 and in June 2016 that were filmed and posted to social media sites.
On July 5, the ICC issued a second arrest warrant for Werfalli for his “alleged responsibility for murder as a war crime”.
The court said he “allegedly shot dead 10 persons in front of the Bi’at al-Radwan Mosque” in Libya’s second city Benghazi on January 24. — AFP